Monday, May 25, 2009

surgery in slippers :)

The past few days have been amazing, I have seen so many patients and learned so much. Amidst all of this excitement, nothing has hit me as much off gaurd as my first experience in the OT (operating theater). While I was working at the Eye Hospital examining patients with Dr. Seema in the cornea room, the last patient of the day presented with a perforated cornea which had become infected and resulted in the iris touching the cornea. She told me that this was an emergency which she would need to tend to in the OT. As she walked me over with her we took our shoes off at the door, which is nothing out of the normal for me. But to my surprise, as we changed into scrubs and walked into the actual OT, she handed me a pair of slippers! This definitely caught me off gaurd, with all of the rules that we have in America for keeping our toes safely inside of shoes I just wasn't expecting it :) Regardless of our footwear the quick patch up surgery was an amazing experience to watch, and Dr. Seema was a great teacher as she went through the procedure.
I have been so fortunate to be working with such great doctors here, and what is really amazing is that all of the things that I have learned about this past year and read about in books has been presenting itself to me. It's quite a feeling to be able to experience things that I have only read about in theory.
So long for now, and I look forward to sharing tomorrow!

No comments: