Saturday, May 23, 2009

Final Day at the Eye Hospital

Today was our final day at the H.V. Desai Eye Hospital and it was one that everyone enjoyed. I got to work with a pediatric opthamalogist who was very eager to teach us. We saw a variety of cases, ranging from a case of leukocoria, to one of conjunctival nevus. The cases that really stuck out to me were those of children who has just undergone surgery to correct exotropia and esotropia. Esotropia and exotropia are excessive internal and external strabismus of the eye, respectively. They can be surgerically corrected with resectioning and reattachment of the rectus muscles of the eye. It was incredible for me to witness how successful these procedures are and the profound change that they can have on a child.
On another front, I cannot get over how crazy the driving in India is. I am honestly blown away. Never have I seen traffic where lane-markers are seldomly adhered to, with bikes motorcycles, cattle, donkeys, and goats all part of the congestion. I vow that, before I leave, I want to conquer driving here, although that depends upon somebody letting drive their car, which won't happen. Still, I feel like stunt drivers in the states look like beginners to drivers over. The best part is, every single drive is an adventure...

No comments: