Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pictures!

We've been taking a lot of pictures, but haven't had time to upload them yet. Here are a few, more to come later :)
This is a picture of me observing a pediatric eye surgery. The child had a "squint," meaning that one eye did not align with the other. The procedure for this was to weaken or strengthen one of the six eye muscles, depending on what kind of squint it was. I found the surgery to be the most exciting area. It was really cool to be able to see conditions that I've been studying for the last year-and I'm really finding out just how much I learned or didn't learn in neuro.

Here is a group picture of us eating lunch at the Desai household. I'm really going to miss this amazing food...I've never felt more at home as a vegetarian than I do in India!




Here is a picture of the Desai eye hospital that we've been working at, as well as Ona, Nick, and Kay in front of the hospital.




Today we worked at a health camp for children of construction workers. We did basic exams, mostly of young children. It was incredibly fun to see all of the cute kids, and it was neat just how much you can communicate with a child without using any words --although it was helpful to be able to day "where is the pain?" in hindi. It was a mixed experience, however, because while it was so amazing to see all of the kids, it was also very depressing to see all of the vitamin deficiencies, anemia, ricketts, and respiratory infections. We have a lot of health camps coming up, so we'll be seeing a lot more of these efffects of poverty.

No comments: